Friday, February 13, 2009

Transcendence. Also: poop.

So Monday I emailed a friend of a friend a networking letter and a rez, and said friend of a friend passed said rez up to their boss, and holy crap, I had an interview yesterday (Thursday).

I got completely hysterical Wednesday night freaking out about what top to wear under my suit jacket, and it turned out the perfect thing was right in front of my face. I'm hoping that is a good sign. When I came home late last night from a potluck and got the mail, my first glossy issue of the state bar magazine had arrived. I'm hoping that was another one.

This interviewer was extremely low-key, which helped calm me down a lot. I had stayed up late and spent time in the morning, when I should have been beautifying, studying actual legal content, thinking I might be quizzed, and nothing like that ever came up.

This would be something totally different for me, in a good way. Mom asked what I would actually do, and I explained it by quoting Joe Friday: "You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford one, I would be appointed for you." It is hard to describe how freaking amazing it was to say that. To even think it, typing this. I start thinking about watching Henry Fonda in Gideon's Trumpet, in 10th grade Government. Earlier, Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch, during freshman English, way, way before I understood what was really happening. And to even earlier, when the church we attended had a prestigious downtown address, adjacent to the courthouse. I read a parking-lot sign that said "Reserved for the Public Defender," and asked my parents what that was, because it sounded like a superhero to me.

I would get lots of experience really fast. I would be learning from really experienced practitioners. It would be crazy challenging on lots of levels. And I would definitely be helping people who really need it. Which is what I went to school to do, and what I think I am called to do, on a spiritual level (I feel goofy typing that, but it's the truth).

And if the number I was quoted is even close, it is beyond our wildest dreams.

I am hoping, hoping, hoping that I got myself across well, and praying (again, goofy, but that's what I'm doing) that it finally took this time. I am trying really hard to stay positive, to open my heart to love and change, and to keep the heck out of my own way.

For the moment, however: I need to go and empty the catboxes at my mother-in-law's.

1 comment:

  1. WOW!!! Oh, I hope you get it!

    Also, just think? You might be able to transcend the poop and hire someone to deal with it after this!

    ReplyDelete